Sea Cider Seeks Cellar Manager
Job Title: Cellar Manager
Reporting To: Kristen Jordan – Owner
Sea Cider is a certified organic orchard and Ciderhouse that makes and sells fermented cider. The Cellar Manager is responsible for planning and executing all cider production processes and activities. Production management experience and extensive technical expertise related to the alcohol industry are essential. The Cellar Manager role requires a multifaceted and highly flexible individual who is prepared to both manage production and be very hands-on in all activities related to cider production.
Management and Execution of Cider Production
- Responsible for all cider manufacturing activities including but not limited to, harvesting, apple pressing, laboratory analysis, fermentation, racking, filtration, sensory analysis, blending and bottling.
- Adhere to and refine (when required) all Standard Operating Procedures relating to cider production.
- Collect data and manage all production information in an organized, timely and accessible manner.
- Prepare all regulatory and corporate reports related to production.
- Prepare production plans, schedules and budgets in accordance with company requirements.
- Train and supervise other production staff, and organize human resources in order to meet production targets.
- Monitor, measure and report on cider production issues and opportunities. Development plans and achievements within agreed formats and timeframes.
- Champion the transfer of new and existing technologies and test new cider production methodologies.
- Liaise with suppliers to ensure all materials and stocks for cider production are ordered, maintained and recorded in accordance with organic standards and company requirements.
- Plan and forecast cider production in consultation with the Business Owner.
- Ensure health and safety standards are adhered to in all aspects of cider production.
Health & Safety
- Ensure production areas are kept clean and safe at all times;
- Treat hazardous substances appropriately so as to minimize health and safety risks;
- Monitor production areas for hazards and rectify potential hazards;
- Become familiar with safety precautions for all potentially hazardous substances. Be familiar with the information contained in the relevant Material Safety Data Sheets and review regularly.
- Be familiar with the contents and location of the First Aid kit.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures and best practices when operating equipment, carrying heavy loads, etc. to reduce the risk of injury.
- Report any injury immediately to a supervisor.
Business Performance & Analysis
- Liaise with other functional managers so as to understand all necessary aspects and needs of business development and to ensure all areas are fully informed of objectives, purposes and achievements.
- Provide strategic thinking focused on creating long-term asset value while maintaining a financial discipline in all decision-making.
- Participate in the preparation of an annual business plan plus monitor and control financial performance against budget.
- Manage all aspects of production equipment maintenance, procurement and deployment for the laboratory, tank room, cellar and processing rooms.
- Train staff in use and care of equipment, ensure that standard operating procedures are followed and that health and safety requirements are met.
Procurement and Warehouse Management
- Source supplies as required. Source new supplies and secure new suppliers in consultation with the owners.
- Follow procurement and shipping procedures efficiently, and with the utmost attention to accurate record-keeping and quality control.
- Manage and document all upstream and downstream production-related inventory stored on-site, and re-organize when necessary.
- Perform regular inventory counts.
- Ensure health and safety requirements are adhered to in the warehouse at all times.
- When required, conduct tours of the production areas for customers, suppliers, media and staff members. Ensure that production areas are safe, clean, tidy and free of hazards when visited by tour groups. Describe the cidermaking process confidently, ensuring that the information provide meets the tour group’s needs.
- When required, guide tastings for customers, suppliers, wholesale accounts, media and staff members.
- In coordination the sales and marketing team, maintain and develop existing and new customers through appropriate sales methods and relevant liaison, to optimize quality of service, business growth and customer loyalty.
- When assigned by Manager, undertake day-to-day business tasks to ensure Sea Cider is effective in it’s interactions with customers, key industry contacts and suppliers.
Knowledge & Skills Required
The following knowledge, skills and aptitudes are required:
- Production management experience in the food and beverage industry.
- University degree in fermentation sciences or related areas.
- Expertise in analytical chemistry, microbiology, and process engineering.
- Production equipment maintenance experience.
- Advanced computer skills.
- Agricultural experience an asset.
- Be highly motivated, results oriented and capable of effectively prioritizing tasks and working autonomously.
- Be capable of effectively managing and supervising other production staff.
- Be personable and demonstrate ability to effectively deal with the public, customers, media, suppliers and wholesale accounts.
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Be able work well under pressure and to be part of a team.
- A sense of humour.
Please send cover letter, resume and letters of reference to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.